I had a difficult time sleeping last night, I'm also struggling with my appetite. We arrived at the hospital this morning with broken spirits. After morning devotional I was gathering my things together, with a lump in my throat wondering how I would make it through another day here. Local Haitians gather together each morning to pray and sing hymns. I heard their voices. I followed the sound to get as close as I could. I could not see them, but I could hear their angelic voices, they were singing, "How Great Thou Art" in Creole! It was beautiful. I stood on the ramp in the hospital listening to them sing. I could feel of their hope and faith in God, my faith was strengthened and my hope restored. I felt renewed. I hurried to post op and played with little Jean Baptiste, His smile should hold me through the next couple of days.
We did a case today on a 28 year old woman who had a strange growths on her knee. Her X-ray showed a chunk of her tibia missing. Never seeing anything like this before, Derek and Dr. Rubbo opened up her knee. They pulled out handfulls of dead tissue. It was obvious she would have to lose her leg to survive. The case went well from then on, but I knew Derek was devastated to have to take this young woman's leg off. It broke his heart that she would wake up from surgery and discover she had lost her leg. It was difficult, but they made the right decision, they saved her life.








No comments:
Post a Comment