Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day Two

Today was our first day working at the hospital. I have fallen in love with the people, especially the children. I came to make them smile, they made me smile. My favorites: Mirlanda, a girl who has been at the hospital since the earthquake in January. Her right femur was crushed. She has an external fixator on her right leg. Her bone is infected and will not heal. Mia, a little girl who had a leg amputated. She is the happiest child. She frolics around the hospital with her little red, yellow and blue crutches. My very favorite is Sondi (Soon-zie). His smile is contagious. He calls me Mom. We colored together and played a game. I draw a picture of something in the room and he has to find it. Others in the post op room joined in...teens and adults too. We had so much fun. I find myself wanting to spend all my time with young Sondi. I miss my kids, but I know they are in good hands. I need this experience, I will take more from this opportunity than I can ever give. The children of Haiti will give me more than I can give them. They have taught me so much already about joy and resilience. Tonight we had a lovely dinner on the covered patio at the hotel. The evening was beautiful, we enjoyed the storm as it rolled in. The rain was pouring down, the tropical breeze was a nice relief from the heat of the day. Our enjoyment quickly turned to sorrow when Pam mentioned the tent/tarp cities. All of a sudden the rain turned from contentment to a nightmare for the thousands who could not escape the discomfort of wet, muddy beds. We were immediately humbled. We decided to put down our drinks and silverware and pray for the Haitians. As the rain dumped all around us and others were laughing and enjoying their dinners, we all held hands (eleven of us) around the large table and prayed for their comfort.
Cindy Demuth, Melissa, Daniella, Me

Mirlanda, holding pics of my kids

Mirlanda's leg, this is not rare to see

Me and Sondi, coloring in Ortho post op

Mia, a successful amputation

No comments:

Post a Comment